If you’re like me, as summer wears on you start to run out of ways to grill your chicken. So you grill some steaks, maybe get a little crazy and grill some fruits and veggies. But in the end, you just can’t think of one more marinade . . .
I’m here to help. This lime cilantro marinade for flank steak is simple and fast and flank steak can feed a large crowd (or your own family for at least two days). I know, I know, I’m a little obsessed with the lime/cilantro combination (Lime cilantro cous cous anyone?). The marinade packs a ton of flavor and flank steak just soaks it right up. Serve with warm tortillas and your favorite toppings, or slice over some crisp salad greens.
It’s also delicious sliced up cold the next day. Not that I’ve stood over the sink and eaten it that way when I was supposed to be warming it for my family. And PLEASE PLEASE, don’t reheat it in the microwave. Please put it in the oven or a skillet. Steak of any kind is not meant for the microwave.
Lime Cilantro Carne Asada
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs flank steak, trimmed of most fat
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- one seeded, diced jalapeno, or a few good shakes of the tabasco bottle
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 handful of cilantro, chopped (stems and all)
- 2 large limes, juiced
- 2 Tbsp. white or champagne vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/3-1/2 cup olive oil (depending on size of your steak)
- In large bowl, whisk together all ingredients, mix well.
- Place flank steak in large ziplock bag OR in a glass dish. Cover in marinade and turn to coat well. Place in refrigerator at least 4 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove steak from marinade, discard marinade. Salt and pepper your steak liberally on both sides.
- Pre heat your grill to medium high. Grill steak for 5-7 minutes on each side, depending on thickness and your desired doneness (it’s really best rare).
- Remove steak from grill, cover with foil and let rest at least 5 minutes. I know it’s hard, but you’ve got to let it rest. Slice on the diagonal and serve.