So I’ve got a confession to make. I’m not very good at eating leftovers. I usually make my husband eat them. Except he isn’t around much . . . so that’s some food going to waste. I’m especially bad with leftover chicken. I always think “Oh, I’ll make a salad tomorrow, or reheat this” but i never do and it sits forlornly in its Pyrex dish until I toss it (I know, I know, there are starving children …)
Today I put an end to that. I thought, hey, I’ve got some cilantro and some limes (both of which I adore) and I’ve got this leftover grilled chicken . . . so lets put some other stuff in there and make chicken salad! I had seen something similar on Pinterest, but it had mayo in it. And I hate mayo. Also, it didn’t have nearly enough lime and cilantro for may taste.
Makes 6 portions. Serve alone or in a pita pocket (because bread just doesn’t seem cool enough)
Southwest Chicken Salad
For the Salad:
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast (use grilled, baked or rotisserie, just make sure it’s chilled)
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1/2 Cup frozen corn (or fresh if you have it)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
For the Dressing:
- 1/2 – 3/4 Cup light sour cream (You could probably use greek yogurt, but it will change the taste, proceed with caution)
- 2 limes
- 1 small to medium avocado
- 3 Tbsp cilantro
- 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. cumin, tabasco
- Make the dressing in the bottom of a large bowl. Mash the avocado into the sour cream with a fork or a potato masher. Add the juice of one lime, cilantro, the cumin, salt and a dash of tabasco. Mix until blended.
- Add the salad ingredients, stir well. Taste, add more lime if necessary and adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Stand over sink and eat large spoonfuls. Enjoy! I recommend you serve this immeadiately. If you don’t, I’m sure it will taste fine but of course the lettuce will lose it’s crunch.