Did you know Clinton Kelly (from What Not to Wear) could bake? No? Me either. But there he was on GMA last week, promoting his new show The Chew(which I watched today and hated) and making apple crumble. It caught my eye because he used orange instead of the standard lemon juice and he used cranberries.
So yesterday I thought I’d give it a whirl. Use up all the apples I keep buying because they are so fresh here! No musty dented up rejects like they sell at the Hickam Commissary. The problem was I didn’t have enough apples, and so I tried to halve the recipe, but on some things (like the cinnamon or brown sugar or oatmeal) I forgot to halve the measurements . . . needless to say I was sure this would taste a little funny when it was done. WRONG. So very, very good. The orange and the cranberry cut all the sweetness. Therefore I served it with vanilla ice cream, to ensure LOTS of sweetness. Obviously a very forgiving recipe, for those of you out there who are scared to bake, or have to do it with a 15 month old clinging to your legs. Definetely a keeper.
- 3 lbs firm apples (I used about 6 I think)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teas. grated orange zest, 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teasp. cinnamon, 1/2 teasp. nutmeg, pinch of kosher salt
For the Crumble:
- 1 1/2 cups flour (I always use a little less flour and a little more rolled oats. up to you)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teasp. orange zest
- 1/2 teasp. kosher salt
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 lbs (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened but not melted
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non stick spray, place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or foil, to collect overflow and prevent infuriating clean up.
- Core apples and cut into inch chunks (note: original recipe states to leave peel on. That’s just gross in my opion. But you do what you want). Place apple chunks in large bowl with cranberries, orange zest and orange juice. Mix.
- In seperate bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir into apples in at least two additions, mixing in between (this prevents all the flour from sinking to the bottom). Pour apples into baking dish.
- To prepare crumble: cream together butter, orange zest and sugars. Add flour, oats, oran and salt and mix only until it resembles course crumbs. Sprinkle over apples, bake for 25 minutes or until crumble is brown and apples are bubbling. Let cool for 5 minutes.